From its earliest days, Freemasonry has been involved in charitable activities, and since its inception it has provided support for many widows and orphans of Freemasons as well as for others within the community.
All monies raised for charity are drawn from amongst Freemasons, their families and friends, while grants and donations are made to Masonic and non-Masonic charities alike.
Freemasonry has an enviable record of providing regular and consistent financial support to individual charities over long periods while at the same time making thousands of grants to local charities, appeals and projects throughout England and Wales each year.
Over the past five years alone Freemasonry has raised more than £75m for a wide range of charitable purposes including those involved in medical research, community care, education and work with young people. Our Vulcan Lodge in Alfreton are dedicated to supporting those in our local community who would most benefit from their help. In addition to providing financial support, members freely give of their time and expertise in a variety of of different ways.
The Freemasons of Vulcan Lodge Alfreton support many charities every year, which include Local good causes from around North East Derbyshire and beyond, but we also support National Charities, all of which are voted and spoken of in our regular meetings. Many members take on personal challenges getting sponsored for their efforts, with fellow brothers supporting as well as the Lodge themselves.
Freemasons of Derbyshire Fund
This fund prioritises activities and groups that are working to:
- promote the advancement of health and well being
- prevent or relieve poverty
- support the most vulnerable in our communities such as children and young people, the elderly and isolated or individuals with mental health problems or disabilities
- enhance the quality of life for people living in our local communities
More information can be found at http://www.foundationderbyshire.org/funds/freemasons-of-derbyshire-grassroots-fund/
Masonic Charitable Foundation
Freemasons support charity also through the Masonic Charity Foundation, which is funded entirely through the generosity of Freemasons and their families. The Masonic Charitable Foundation is one of the largest grant-making charities in the country.
Most of the support provided by the Masonic Charitable Foundation takes the form of financial grants to individuals and families to assist with daily living costs. They can also award grants to provide specific items or services.
A range of health and care needs, including medical and dental treatments, counselling and mobility aids or home adaptations are supported, with funding also available for respite, residential, nursing and dementia care.
In addition to the support they provide to Freemasons and their families, the Masonic Charitable Foundation awards millions of pounds each year to local and national charities that help vulnerable people, advance medical research and provide opportunities for young people.
They also help to fund vital services such as hospices and air ambulances and regularly contribute to worldwide appeals for disaster relief. In total, our support helps to improve the lives of thousands of people every year in England, Wales and internationally.
The Foundation brings together the work of four national Charities which had been operating separately under various names since the early 18th Century.
- Burton’s Pirelli Stadium hosts prostate screening event for members of the Derbyshire Freemasons
- Derbyshire Freemasons donate £2,500 to 126 Squadron (City of Derby) RAF Air Cadets
- Derbyshire Freemasons Keep Drums Beating for Derwent Brass
- Derbyshire Blood Bikes new Citroen C1 Thanks to Derbyshire Freemasons
- Freemasons from Around the Globe Celebrate Tercentenary at Royal Albert Hall
- Derbyshire Freemasons Donate £600 to SAFFA Armed Forced Charity
- Derbyshire Freemasons donate £2000 to Drum Hill Scout Camp
- Derbyshire Freemasons donate £1,000 to mental health charity
- Derbyshire Freemasons thanked by Derbyshire Dales Careline
- Derbyshire Freemasons donate £25,000 to Charities
- Derbyshire Freemasons donate £325 to Derby Sea Cadets
- Shedding light on modern masonry in Sheffield
- Freemasons of Ecclesburne Lodge Duffield donate to Derbyshire Autism Services
- Freemasons of Tudor Lodge 9635 raise £1500 for Children First Derby
- Derbyshire Freemasons invite Local Derby schools to attend a Pantomime
- Christmas donation from Derbyshire Freemasons to LEVEL’S disability outreach project
- Derbyshire Freemasons visit North Wales
- Derbyshire Freemasons organise a tour of Derby County Football for children with special educational needs
- Derbyshire Freemasons out and about in the community
- Visit to the Harry Potter Studio Tour
- Freemasons Donate to the Food Bank in Middlewich for Christmas
- Freemasons donate food to the Red Cross
- Freemasons provide Assistance for New Wheelchair
- Somerset Freemasons donate £1750 for new Heart Monitor
- Freemasons donate £6000 to Age Connects Cardiff
- Freemasons TLC Teddies make a Difference
- Charity Lifelites donates specialist technology for children at Shooting Star Chase with grant from Middlesex Freemasons
- Freemasons donate to Salvation Army
- Freemasons make donation to St Mary’s Hospice in Ulverston
- Freemasons donate £500 to Parkinson’s (UK)
- Freemasons’ help with heavy duty mobility scooter for Tiverton residents
- Freemasons donate £1,500 to Beenstock Nursing Home
- Freemasons donate £1,312 to Zoë’s Place baby hospice
- Freemasons donate £10,000 to the Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS)
- Freemasons donations to Prostate Cancer Scotland top £400,000
- Scottish Freemasons raise £13,500 for Poppyscotland
- Surrey Freemasons help Stroke survivors in Merton with £40,000 grant
- Somerset Freemasons donate £4,300 to Taunton Association for the Homeless
- Lincolnshire Freemasons make further donations to Charities
- Pendle Freemasons donate £1,000 to the East Lancashire Hospitals’ Integrated Stroke Therapy Service